Search

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Bathing Suits - Evil Incarnate or Self-Esteem Booster?



Bathing suit season is one of my oldest enemies. I know I'm not alone in saying that bathing suit shopping has never been easy. Every mannequin and model is petite, or curvy in the "right" places. For those of us with bodies that are shaped differently than the ones on display at Victoria's Secret, or those who are considered 'plus size', shopping for a bathing suit can be a daunting task, never mind actually putting one on in public.

One of my many retail jobs over the years was at a bathing suit store. During my interview, the manager asked me what I would say if I was helping a woman who loved a suit that looked terrible on her. I told her I wouldn't say anything - if she feels great in a bathing suit my opinion doesn't matter. 

Unfortunately, most of us are not super confident in a bathing suit. We obsessively compare ourselves to others, and in most cases, we feel we fall short. Every summer I give myself a pep talk. I tell myself that this year will be different, that it doesn't matter what other people think, and that if I feel good I'll look good. Often the confidence runs out before I leave the house. 

Working in a bathing suit store turned out to be a great experience. I got to see first-hand how women of different ages and body types deal with body image issues, finding the right size, and fighting back against the unrealistic standards that surround us. 

We need to stop our cycles of self-doubt and start thinking positive. Here are some steps I've learned along the way to take to start thinking of your bathing suit as a self-esteem booster instead of as pure evil. 

1 - Find a bathing suit you love on the hanger.

The first step to feeling good in something is wanting to put it on. If you don't like it on the hanger, you probably won't like it on your body. 

Look for prints or colours that instantly attract you to an item. For me, army green is my go-to for bathing suits. Since I'm a sucker for bling, anything with a metallic accent grabs my eye.

Bringing a friend with you can be very helpful. Often they can spot trends in our wardrobes that we don't notice. As a result, he or she will pick out things for us that we might not have chosen on our own. 


2 - Get something supportive.

Many bathing suits are just not designed to be worn by women with large chests. Feeling saggy and droopy for your day at the beach doesn't make anybody happy. 

Generally, if there is a string holding up the top it isn't going to be supportive. Straps that are wider are a much better option. Suits that tie around the neck can become painful if worn for more than a couple hours, so consider a top that has straps more like a bra. 

If you're going for a two-piece, make sure there is a wider band around the bottom part of the top half. This will add some support to the cups.

On the subject of cups, triangles don't hold much. A cup that is rounded will keep you covered, and prevent any wardrobe malfunctions. 


3 - Find the style that works best for your body.

As with every other kind of clothing, not every design will work with every body shape. Try on a few different styles until you find the one you like the best. 

Each style has its own pros and cons. For instance, bottoms that tie at the side allow for size adjustments, however, they show more skin on the hip. High-cut bottoms have a retro look, but they can feel restrictive. You won't know what style you like the best until you try. 

Try to pinpoint what you like and dislike about each style you try on. This will help you narrow down what kind of suit you'll like the best. For example, do you like the cut or embellishments?


4 - Remember that loving your bathing suit is a marathon, not a sprint.

Undoing a lifetime of negative self-talk doesn't happen in one day. Set a goal and take steps to reach it. For example, maybe your goal is to go into a pool without a T-shirt on over top of your bathing suit. Give yourself a time limit (like the end of the summer) and stick to it. 

Consider trying items such as wraps and sarongs. These are the perfect summer accessories for bathing suits and are helpful tools for reaching your goal.  


Have a tip for bathing suit shopping? Let us know!



No comments:

Post a Comment